Normally for Christmas morning, I make monkey bread for my family. You know that sweet, sticky pastry that is made up of little balls of dough, covered in cinnamon and a caramel sauce. After bariatric surgery that is no longer a great option. It’s important to have a healthy, high protein option to go along with the monkey bread. This Christmas frittata is full of red and green bell peppers and makes a festive addition to any breakfast or brunch table during the Holidays. If your Bell Peppers and onions are cooked well this is a great option for Phase 3.
Christmas Breakfast - Frittata
- 8 large eggs
- 16 large egg whites about 2 cups
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup red and green bell pepper chopped
- 1/2 cup red onion chopped
- 1/2 cup cherry or grape tomatoes sliced in half
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheddar
- Preheat the oven to 375.
- Spray a 9 inch round cake pan, or cast-iron skillet with canola spray.
- Whisk together the eggs, egg whites, milk, and lemon juice.
- Heat the olive oil in a large saute pan over medium-high heat.
- Saute the onion, bell pepper, and tomato until tender. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the onion mixture and the cheese to the whisked egg and stir to combine.
- Pour into the cake pan or cast-iron skillet.
- Bake for 20 to 30 minutes or until the egg is cooked all the way through.